# 518 pages;
# Publisher: Wrox (February 21, 2005);
# ISBN: 0764577328;
SQL works with databases to insert and extract data and is an international standard for manipulating data in databases. This hands-on resource covers everything from a review of SQL basics and database design to creating your own databases and using the SQL language in a variety of database applications. Packed with essential code, theories, concepts, and techniques, as well as a cache of useful examples, this comprehensive text will have you quickly designing your own databases and writing SQL code sufficient for many real-world situations. Practice exercises in each chapter help speed up your comprehension. By the end of the book, you’ll be prepared to handle any surprise that SQL might throw your way.
- How to get the answers you want from a database
- Procedures for using and manipulating data with SQL’s built-in functions
- Ways to retrieve data from numerous and diverse tables
- How to create various levels of security in a database so you can edit data or change the database’s structure
- Theories and practical applications of normalization
- Advanced database design
This book is for programmers with some prior programming experience who are seeking to develop their database programming skills using SQL. The book assumes no previous programming experience, so it is also suitable for database programming beginners including database administrators. Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
* Taking readers through the basics of the language, right up to some more advanced topics, this book is a practical, hands-on resource and aims to keep the reader involved at all times
* Focuses on the SQL standard and is loaded with detailed examples and code; each chapter includes practice exercises that readers can challenge themselves with before looking at the sample solutions in the appendix
* Paul Wilton is a successful Wrox «Beginning» book author and is an ideal author to write for those who want a firm grasp of standard SQL before learning the details specific to a particular database product
* SQL is an international standard for manipulating data in databases and is used by database programmers in all major database systems: Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, MySQL, and many others